This week we're working on the Basement. What we might have in terms of basements will vary greatly. Some of you will have finished or partially finished basements with a family room, playroom, etc. Some might have a laundry room. Some might have storage. Some might not have a basement, but have a laundry room, playroom, or storage area that needs attention.
If you're working on a storage area, we're going to work on this area in the same way we did the other storage areas:
- Divide your work into 3 zones
- Empty out each zone
- Clean it
- Sort it
- Put it away
If you're working on a laundry area
Sweep for cobwebs
Clean light fixtures and vents
Sweep walls and clean any windows and window treatments
Remove anything from the laundry area that has no place there and put away
Declutter laundry supplies
Wipe down any shelves, cabinets, counters, etc.
Wipe down washer and dryer
Check and clean filters and hoses according to manufacturers instructions
Wipe baseboards and clean floor
If you're working on a family room, playroom
, etc...Deep Cleaning Tasks in the Family Room include:
( Sneak PeekCollapse )
- Clean light fixtures and sweep ceiling for cobwebs.
- Wash the windows inside and out. Windowframes and sills.
- Wash doors and doorframes, doorknobs.
- Polish mirrors and their frames.
- Take everything off the walls including art and drapery. Laundry drapery.
- Dust or wash walls, paying special attention to fingerprint places like switchplates.
- Take cushions off furniture. Launder as necessary, vacuum, shampoo as necessary.
- Visit each piece of wooden furniture, empty drawers or shelves, clean and polish, put back only what is necessary and find homes for or dispose of the rest. Don't forget the TV and other electronics, and reorganize CDs and other media. (Schedule piano maintenance if necessary.) Include the fireplace mantle. (Schedule fireplace maintenance?)
- Clean, change, trim, any plants in the room, silk or live.
- Replace cushions and drapery.
- Coat Closet- empty, sort by family member and season. Remove out of season items to storage and outgrown or worn out items to a trash or donate pile. Replace only those items which should be in the coat closet.
- Clean baseboards.
- Vacuum and clean carpets and floor.
- Make list of items that need repair or replacing such as lightbulbs, lampshades, electrical cords, drawer pulls, etc.